This small cob cottage was built in 1864 by Bentley Coton on his 50 acre farm. Consisting of five rooms and an attic, is a reminder of the modest dwellings of early Canterbury pioneers, using materials readily available on the Canterbury Plains.
This wonderful historic place suffered extensive damage during the earthquake of September 4, 2010. Coton's Cottage was rebuilt and reopened to the public in 2014. The Hororata Historical society opens the cottage and the nearby museum on site on fine Sunday afternoons. The Hororata Historical Society now manages the reserve that Coton's Cottage sits in, and they have furnished the restored cottage from their collection of local artefacts. Drop by and be entranced by this humble dwelling. Have a picnic in the reserve.